Liposuction has become an increasingly safe and popular surgical procedure to eliminate stubborn pockets of fat that are diet and exercise-resistant. Suitable for both men and women, liposuction can help you achieve a smoother midsection or leaner-looking backside in no time. If you’d like to achieve a slimmer figure, our liposuction plastic surgeon in Manhattan, Dr. Aviva Preminger, shares what areas of the body you can get liposuction.
First, let’s look at what liposuction can do for the body
It’s essential to understand that lipo is not a weight-loss method or a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. Candidates for liposuction should be within a few pounds of their weight loss goal. The procedure removes unwanted fat from underneath the skin to provide a contoured, slimmer figure. Results can be maintained with a healthy lifestyle. Still, new fat can reappear in the treated areas if you fail to maintain a healthy weight, don’t work out, and eat an unhealthy diet all of the time.
Areas of the body that you can get lipo
- Referred to as “love handles” or “muffin top,” this area is prone to collecting excess fat that is hard to shed even if you exercise and eat healthily. Get rid of unsightly bulges and achieve a slimmer figure by requesting lipo on your waist.
- Whether you desire the vanity six-pack abs or just want a slimmer abdomen, lipo can be performed in this area to achieve a slimmer silhouette and flatter midsection. Lipo on the abdomen is less invasive than a tummy tuck. However, each patient’s needs are different. If you only want excess fat removed, then lipo is your answer. If you desire a firmer, more toned midsection and need to get rid of a few extra pounds of belly fat, then you may want to talk to your plastic surgeon about a tummy tuck.
- Hips and Buttocks
- Dimples, bulges, and excess fat can leave you with less than desirable curves in this area of the body. If you prefer shapely buttocks or slender thighs, lipo may be the answer for you. Different than a Brazilian butt lift, which is an extensive surgical procedure, lipo of the buttocks can reveal a smoother, more shapely backside with less downtime.
- Many women experience excess back fat that is more pronounced when wearing tight undergarments such as tank tops or bras. If you desire a smooth outline and want to eliminate back fat and rolls, lipo can help you achieve your desired look.
- “Saddlebags” are a common complaint of many women. A culprit of an unhealthy diet, lack of exercise, and prolonged sitting results in excess fat deposits in this region. Liposuction is a popular choice to get rid of fat on the thighs.
- Upper Arms
- Bat wings are another common complaint that men and women experience, and it is known to be a difficult area to target for weight loss. Lipo of the upper arms eliminates the flabby, jiggly look that makes you feel self-conscious.
What to expect after liposuction
Recovery is dependent on the area you have treated, but generally, patients can expect to return to their usual routine in about 5-7 days. You may experience some temporary swelling and bruising, which should subside within 8-12 weeks. While some lipo procedures can be conducted with local anesthesia, large volume fat removal requires general anesthesia.
Book a consultation with a liposuction plastic surgeon in New York City and Manhattan
If you’re interested in lipo or want to see if you are a candidate, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Preminger at her boutique office located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. To get started or learn more, call (212) 706-1900.