Dark circles under the eyes are a common complaint in aging women. While these unsightly shadows represent fatigue, there are many women who keep their dark circles even after a full night’s rest. If your persistent under-eye circles are causing you to look older or more tired than you really are, we invite you to consider your non-surgical treatment options at our NYC clinic. Dr. Aviva Preminger is a board certified plastic surgeon who offers treatment for dark circles under eyes at her practice on the Upper East Side of NYC.
What Causes Dark Circles Under the Eyes?
Permanent dark circles under the eyes can have various causes, some of which are within your control to change and others that you can’t.
Lifestyle Factors You Can Fix
If the following factors have contributed to your dark circles, you may be able to correct or eliminate them on your own.
- Lack of sleep or poor sleep quality: Insufficient sleep or poor sleep quality can cause the blood vessels under the eyes to dilate, resulting in a darker appearance. Lack of sleep can also make the skin appear dull and pale, further accentuating the dark circles.
- Allergies: Chronic allergies can cause persistent inflammation in the delicate skin around the eyes, leading to the development of dark circles.
- Excessive sun exposure: Prolonged exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays can increase melanin production in the skin, which can darken the under-eye area.
- Dehydration: Insufficient hydration can make the skin appear dull and accentuate the appearance of dark circles.
- Poor diet: A diet lacking in essential nutrients, particularly iron, vitamin K, and vitamin B12, can contribute to the development of dark circles.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption: Both smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can affect the quality of sleep, dehydrate the body, and lead to poor circulation, all of which can contribute to the appearance of dark circles.
Factors You Can’t Control but We Can Treat
When you’ve got a good night’s rest, balanced your diet, hydrated yourself and still see dark shadows underneath your eyes, you may be suffering from dark circle causes that you can’t fix on your own. In fact, the following two factors are the most prevalent cause of dark circles in women:
- Genetics: In some cases, dark circles can be hereditary, meaning they are passed down from parents to children. Certain individuals may have naturally thinner skin under the eyes, making the underlying blood vessels more visible and causing the appearance of dark circles.
- Thin or aging skin: As we age, the skin becomes thinner and loses its elasticity. This can result in blood vessels beneath the eyes becoming more apparent, leading to dark circles.
How We Treat Dark Circles Caused by Age or Genetics
If you have concerns about persistent dark circles under your eyes, we would love to help you at the office of Dr. Preminger. Our NYC clinic proudly utilizes specific non-surgical therapies to brighten your eyes and restore a youthful glow. The most effective treatments for under-eye circles are filler injections and laser treatments.
Dermal fillers containing hyaluronic acid can be injected into the tear trough area, which is the depression or hollow under the eyes that contributes to the appearance of dark circles. The filler adds volume to this area, reducing the shadowing effect and improving the overall appearance. It can also help smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. Dr. Preminger may also combine collagen induction treatments with your filler injections for a more lasting revitalization around your eyes. The results are temporary and typically last several months to a year, depending on the specific filler used.
Laser treatments can address different underlying causes of dark circles, such as pigmentation issues, thinning skin, and blood vessels visibility. Pigment-specific lasers target excess melanin in the skin, helping to lighten the pigmentation that contributes to dark circles. Laser treatments usually require multiple sessions, and results can vary based on individual factors. Downtime and recovery may be involved, depending on the type and intensity of the laser treatment used.
Ready to say goodbye to your persistent under-eye circles? Call Dr. Preminger in NYC today to schedule your consult for younger-looking skin.