The average American sees their doctor about four times per year. Women visit their OB/GYNs annually. If you have had a breast augmentation, how often should you see your plastic surgeon for a follow-up? It may surprise you to learn that it is recommended to have follow-up visits with your plastic surgeon about once every 10 years. Dr. B. Aviva Preminger, a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York City, wants to share three important reasons these checkups are needed at least once a decade after an augmentation procedure.
Breast implants are designed to last for years, but they won’t last forever. Eventually, breast implants need replacing, for your safety and to maintain the look that you desire. As your body changes, so will your breasts. Over time, you may decide that you want to upgrade your implants to a newer design, or that you need a breast lift to complement your implants. Explore your options by seeing your NYC breast surgeon once a decade.
Breast Implant Check-Up
- Reason 1) A Decade Is A Long Time
- Your body changes daily. A lot of changes occur in the body after that much time has passed. Whether you have implants or not, your skin can begin to lose elasticity, caused by factors such as weight loss, childbearing, or aging. If you have breast implants, the risk of sagging also increases. Technology can change as quickly as your body does. Advances in breast implants happen all the time. Your surgeon may suggest a second procedure so that your implants are adjusted to the changes your body has undergone through the years.
- Reason 2) Quality Can Degrade
- Quality implants are designed to last. Eventually, implants need to be replaced to reduce the risk of a rupture or leak. Prevention is always best because an undetected leak or rupture could have serious health ramifications. Schedule a checkup with your plastic surgeon at least once every 10 years to have your breast implants assessed for safety.
- Reason 3) Changes and Adjustments
- Ten years after having your breast implant procedure, the shape, feel, or stability of your implants may not be what you want. More modern implants are often safer and look more natural. Even with lowered chances of complications and shortened recovery time, even modern implant surgery can be different. Your breast implants might not feel as tailored as they could. They may be too big or too small after 10 years of changes. Dr. Preminger wants you to look your best and feel healthy. If you want to upgrade your implants in Manhattan, schedule a consultation with Dr. Preminger.
Breast Augmentation in Manhattan
Whether you received your implants at Preminger Plastic Surgery or you have relocated to Manhattan since your augmentation procedure, you should contact your board-certified plastic surgeon in Manhattan, Dr. B. Aviva Preminger, to schedule your 10-year checkup. If you are located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan or anywhere in New York City, let Dr. Preminger keep you healthy and feeling fantastic with a breast implant exam today. Call (212) 706-1900 to schedule a consultation.