If plumper, pouty lips are at the top of your cosmetic wish-list, you’re in good company. The skyrocketing demand for the Kylie Jenner look has been accompanied by an increase in the number of options available to achieve it. Dr. Preminger—a plastic surgeon in Manhattan—recommends scheduling a personal consultation to find out which option might be best for you. Dermal fillers and autologous fat transfers are safe, effective, and long-lasting.
Lip enhancements with dermal fillers
If you’ve had dermal fillers to treat wrinkles, then you already know about their amazing capacity to transform your face, without looking as if you’ve “had work done.” Certain dermal fillers can also be used to redefine and plump up the lips. Plastic surgeons tend to recommend hyaluronic-based fillers for this purpose, as they will give the most natural-looking results. Restylane, Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Belotero Balance, and Elevess are all soft, hyaluronic acid-based fillers.
The duration of the results vary, depending on the specific product, but patients can generally expect to love their lips for about six months. At that point, the plastic surgeon can inject another dermal filler.
Autologous fat transfers
Autologous fat transfers are another popular method of getting fuller, poutier lips. Some patients prefer this technique over dermal fillers because it uses their own fat, rather than a synthetic replication of a natural substance like hyaluronic acid. However, the process to complete a fat transfer is more involved than simply administering an injection.
The surgeon starts by extracting fat from elsewhere in the patient’s body, such as the hips or thighs. Because of this, you might decide to have more extensive liposuction done along with the fat transfer. Once the fat is extracted, it’s processed using special lab equipment. Then, the surgeon injects small amounts of fat into strategic locations in the lips.
Over-the-counter lip plumpers
Are you considering getting that pouty lip look, but aren’t quite sure how well you’ll wear it? Consider trying OTC lip plumpers before getting a dermal filler or fat transfer. These products won’t give you long-lasting results, of course, but they are generally effective and safe, and they’ll allow you to get a preview of your new look before you consult a plastic surgeon.
- Too Faced Lip Injection Lip Gloss: The application causes a very intense, tingling feeling that will subside. It may last just under an hour.
- Dior Addict Lip Maximiser: This product causes a less intense tingle. It’s ultra-glossy, lasts for about two hours, and might even help improve firmness with regular use.
- Fillerina Lip Volume Grade 2: Try this product if you’d rather not have tingling lips. It won’t provide instant, dramatic results, but they do last longer. The improvements become more noticeable with continued use.
Finding the right look for you
Your preferences and aesthetic goals are unique, and so is your health history. When you speak with Dr. Preminger in New York City, she’ll take the time to get to know you before offering customized recommendations for achieving the look you want. In addition to dermal fillers and autologous fat transfers, Dr. Preminger is pleased to offer a suite of plastic surgery procedures to her patients. Call today at 212-706-1900 to request an appointment in Manhattan.
Learn more about one of the best ways to get plumper lips:
- Fashonista, We Put 4 Noninvasive Lip Filler Alternatives to the Test, https://fashionista.com/2017/05/best-lip-plumpers-that-actually-work
- Independent, 7 best lip-plumping products, http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/best-lip-plumper-plumping-product-gloss-tool-balm-primer-a7421366.html