The quest for more aesthetically pleasing nether regions and increased confidence has spurred an uptick in vaginal rejuvenation surgeries, particularly labiaplasty. According to 2016 statistics released by the American Society of Plastic Surgery, labiaplasty procedures increased by 39 percent last year, with over 12,000 surgeries performed in the United States.
The reality is that many women are bothered by the size or length of their labia, which can lead to discomfort during sexual encounters, interfere with exercise or physical activities, and cause anxiety and self-consciousness. Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that reduces the length of the labia minora and/or majora in order to enhance appearance, symmetry, comfort and overall self-confidence.
Whatever your reason is for considering labiaplasty, your first step is scheduling a private consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can answer your questions candidly and determine if you’re a good candidate for the procedure. Here are fifteen important questions to ask your labiaplasty surgeon during the consultation.
15 Questions to ask during a labiaplasty consultation
- Am I a good candidate for vaginal rejuvenation with labiaplasty?
- How many labiaplasty surgeries have you performed?
- Where will the surgery take place, and is your surgical suite nationally accredited?
- What type of anesthesia is used?
- What kind of results can I realistically expect?
- Can I schedule the surgery even if it’s during my menstrual cycle? Do I need to shave or wax beforehand?
- What surgical methods or technique will you use for my particular case?
- Do you use a scalpel, a laser or both?
- Will I have stitches or risk of scarring?
- What are common and more serious risks associated with labiaplasty?
- Can I see labiaplasty before and after photos of some of your other patients?
- How long is the recovery process – when can I return to work?
- How long do I need to wait after labiaplasty to have sexual intercourse?
- Will there be any permanent changes in sexual sensation caused by the surgery?
- Does insurance cover labiaplasty cost?
These questions are far from exhaustive, but they are a good springboard for an in-depth discussion with your surgeon. If you are planning on future pregnancies or have other concerns, your initial consultation is a good time to bring these issues up. By the end of your first meeting, you should have a good idea if you’re comfortable with the plastic surgeon and confident in their abilities and experience.
Labiaplasty in NYC
Vaginal rejuvenation is one of those delicate procedures where artistry and expertise make a world of difference. If you are interested in having labiaplasty and would like to schedule a one-on-one consult with Dr. B. Aviva Preminger – a leading female NYC plastic surgeon — we invite you to call 212-706-1900 or use our online form.
Additional Labiaplasty Consultation Resources:
- RealSelf, Top 5 Labiaplasty Questions https://www.realself.com/labiaplasty/cost-results-recovery#.WV_7lYjytPb
- Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery, Labiaplasty Surgery – Is It Right For You? http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/other-procedures/labiaplasty.htm
- ASPS, Plastic Surgery Statistics https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/press-releases/new-plastic-surgery-statistics-reveal-focus-on-face-and-fat?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=17-03-02&utm_campaign=PSEC-Stats
- ASPS, What is Labiaplasty https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/female-genital-plastic-surgery/labiaplasty
– See more at: https://premingermd.com/labiaplasty-procedure/top-15-labiaplasty-consultation-questions/#sthash.HESblk2w.dpuf